National Contact Point for cross-border healthcare

You are here:

Travel expenses

Did you fall ill during a temporary stay and have to pay travel expenses, for instance because you had to be ambulanced to hospital, and are you wondering whether you have to pay the bill that you received and if you are entitled to a cost reimbursement after payment?

If you fell ill during your stay so that you have incurred travel expenses, the question of whether the assisting health insurer will pay these expenses will be determined according to the law of the treatment state.

If you receive a bill from the patient transport company, please contact the assisting health insurer or the National Contact Point of the country in question and enquire whether the travel expenses are included in the benefits that are covered by the law applicable there in your specific individual case. Should the costs not be included in the benefits, you would have to pay the travel expenses yourself.

If you have already paid the bill from the patient transport company, you can submit it either to the assisting health insurer or to your German health insurance fund for a reimbursement. They will examine whether the costs that you have incurred can be reimbursed, and in what amount.



Pennefeldsweg 12 c
53177 Bonn

+49 228 9530-802/800

+49 228 9530-801
Online contact form

Find National Contact Points of other EU countries

You will find here a list of National Contact Points of the EU with several contact informations.

Regional sources of information

You are living in a border region and you are searching for further regional information sources. Click here for an overview of institutions that could be helpful.

National information media

You will find more national information available here if you want to find out what treatment is available for specific diseases, or if you need further information on the topic of health.


Information on treatment in another EU country at a glance