National Contact Point for cross-border healthcare

You are here:

Questions about bills issued by the healthcare providers

You are dissatisfied with the bill which you received from your healthcare provider and would like to know what you can do about it.

If you undergo medical treatment as a private patient in another EU country, the foreign healthcare provider, such as a doctor, must issue you with itemised bills with regard to the services that he/she has provided. You can then submit them to your German health insurance fund for reimbursement. You will find more information on this in the column “Who pays?”.

If you are unable to understand individual items on the itemised bill issued by foreign doctor or dentist, or if you feel that the amount of the bill is incorrect, you should contact the National Contact Point of the respective Member State.

If you are undergoing treatment in one of the states mentioned above with authorisation from your health insurance fund in the shape of an E 112 or S2 form, you will receive the same benefits under the same conditions and in the same manner as a person with statutory health insurance in that country.

You will find answers to questions with regard to how these costs are invoiced, as well as to any co-payments you may have to make, in the column “Who pays?”.

Documents and Links



Pennefeldsweg 12 c
53177 Bonn

+49 228 9530-802/800

+49 228 9530-801
Online contact form

Find National Contact Points of other EU countries

You will find here a list of National Contact Points of the EU with several contact informations.

Regional sources of information

You are living in a border region and you are searching for further regional information sources. Click here for an overview of institutions that could be helpful.

National information media

You will find more national information available here if you want to find out what treatment is available for specific diseases, or if you need further information on the topic of health.


Information on treatment in another EU country at a glance