Please rate our service in just five steps.
A. Procedure and scope of right
1. For the purposes of the application of Article 19 of the basic Regulation, the insured person shall present to the health care provider in the Member State of stay a document issued by the competent institution indicating his entitlement to benefits in kind. If the insured person does not have such a document, the institution of the place of stay, upon request or if otherwise necessary, shall contact the competent institution in order to obtain one.
2. That document shall indicate that the insured person is entitled to benefits in kind under the conditions laid down inArticle 19 of the basic Regulation on the same terms as those applicable to persons insured under the legislation of the Member State of stay.
3. The benefits in kind referred to in Article 19(1) of the basic Regulation shall refer to the benefits in kind which are providedin the Member State of stay, in accordance with its legislation, and which become necessary on medical grounds with a view to preventing an insured person from being forced to return, before the end of the planned duration of stay, to the competent Member State to obtain the necessary treatment.
B. Procedure and arrangements for meeting the costs and providing reimbursement of benefits in kind
4. If the insured person has actually borne the costs of all or part of the benefits in kind provided within the framework of Article 19 of the basic Regulation and if the legislation applied by the institution of the place of stay enables reimbursement of those costs to an insured person, he may send an application for reimbursement to the institution of the place of stay. In that case, that institution shall reimburse directly to that person the amount of the costs corresponding to those benefits within the limits of and under the conditions of the reimbursement rates laid down in its legislation.
5. If the reimbursement of such costs has not been requested directly from the institution of the place of stay, the costs incurred shall be reimbursed to the person concerned by the competent institution in accordance with the reimbursement rates administered by the institution of the place of stay or the amounts which would have been subject to reimbursement to the institution of the place of stay, if Article 62 of the implementing Regulation had applied in the case concerned. The institution of the place of stay shall provide the competent institution, upon request, with all necessary information about these rates or amounts.
6. By way of derogation from paragraph 5, the competent institution may undertake the reimbursement of the costs incurred within the limits of and under the conditions of the reimbursement rates laid down in its legislation, provided that the insured person has agreed to this provision being applied tohim/her.
7. If the legislation of the Member State of stay does not provide for reimbursement pursuant to paragraphs 4 and 5 in the case concerned, the competent institution may reimburse the costs within the limits of and under the conditions of the reimbursement rates laid down in its legislation, without the agreement of the insured person.
8. The reimbursement to the insured person shall not, in any event, exceed the amount of costs actually incurred by him/her.
9. In the case of substantial expenditure, the competent institution may pay the insured person an appropriate advance as soon as that person submits the application for reimbursement to it.
C. Family Members
10. Paragraphs 1 to 9 shall apply mutatis mutandis to the members of the family of the insured person.