Please rate our service in just five steps.
There are many reasons why treatment in Germany might make particular sense for you, for instance:
- If you want to be treated in Germany by a medical professional who has been recommended to you,
- If the medical professional who has been treating you for many years has moved his/her place of work to Germany, and you would like to continue to be treated by him/her,
- If your medical professional in Germany is already particularly familiar with your symptoms because of treatment that was provided by him/her in the past,
- If you live near to the border, and the closest medical professional in Germany is much closer,
- If you can only be cared for and supported during the treatment by relatives in Germany,
- If your health insurer only meets a part of the treatment costs, and the treatment is cheaper in Germany.
All of these reasons however have in common that you are only travelling to Germany because you wish to take up a healthcare service here and not in your home country. The treatment is also considered to have been planned if you deliberately combine your holiday stay in Germany with a medical service although the treatment could already have been carried out before your holiday, or could be postponed until after the holiday.
EU law provides for different legal entitlements and procedures with regard to planned treatment than to cases of unplanned treatment in Germany. We have put together some information for you in the document and link box below at the end of this page regarding the preconditions under which your health insurer will contribute to the treatment costs incurred in Germany. Since the treatment procedure may differ from that in your home state, we have also provided information there as to what you need to take into account before, during and after the treatment, as well as checklists for out-patient and in-patient treatment.
You will also find information regarding physicians and hospitals specialising in treating rare diseases in the document and link box below.